Glutamine, while not the most popular of amino acids, it is the most common amino acid found in your muscles, with 61% of skeletal muscle being made up of Glutamine. The benefits of Glutamine are extensive, by way of example, Glutamine:
- Is made up of 19% nitrogen, making it an essential transporter of nitrogen into your muscle cells.
- Plays a vital role in protein synthesis. This process prevents your muscles from being eaten up in order to provide Glutamine for other cells in the body.
- Has anti-catabolism ability, which prevents the breakdown of muscles.
- Helps maintain cell volume and hydration, thus speeding up healing and recovery.
- Increases the body's ability to secrete Human Growth Hormone, which helps metabolize body fat and support new muscle growth.
- Can boost your immune system since it is the primary energy source for your immune system.
- Assists in curing ulcers! Studies have shown that 1.6 grams of Glutamine a day had a 92% cure rate in 4 weeks.
But why do I need to supplement since Glutamine occurs naturally in the body? During intense training, Glutamine levels are greatly depleted, which in turn decreases strength, stamina and our favorite, recovery. Without supplementation, it can take up to 5-6 days for Glutamine levels to replenish to normal. Numerous studies have demonstrated that L-Glutamine supplementation can minimize the breakdown of muscle and improve protein metabolism. These studies have shown that simply taking 2 grams of L-Glutamine can increase growth hormone levels by 400%.
The recommended dosages vary based on goals, but the typical athlete should supplement with 5 grams of Glutamine a day. Check out our LuaVíve's Lionheart Refuel, which has your recommended dose of L-Glutamine, it tastes amazing and has 0 grams of sugar.